Monday, August 19, 2013

Naturade Pea Protein Vegan Formula [Review]

For most of last year, I ate a vegetarian or a vegan diet. Although I have reintroduced meat into my diet (during pregnancy and breastfeeding), I still believe that a meat/fish-free diet is better for my body. I felt much better when I ate a vegetarian diet. However, my biggest challenge while eating vegetarian was getting enough protein each day. Organic and natural protein powders were my answer. Protein powders are an easy way to add protein to a drink, a meal, or a baked good.

Naturade All Natural Pea Protein 100% Vegan Formula       
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Natural ingredients, non-GMO pea protein
Not organic
Vegan
Contains "natural flavors"
Soy and dairy free
Contains carrageenan, which has raised health concerns
Easy to mix, no gritty taste


I am an avid reader of ingredient labels, so the first thing I looked at when I received the product is the
ingredients list. I like that the pea protein isolate is non-GMO and that this product is soy, dairy, and gluten free. However, the protein formula is not organic and the rest of the ingredients could be from GMO sources. For example, "natural flavors" might indicate that soy was used in some fashion, although the label does state the product is soy-free. If you have allergies or are trying to avoid soy, I recommend contacting the company to understand what "natural flavors" are included since this label is very broad.

I mixed the sample of Naturade All Natural Pea Protein Formula with water in a stainless steel water bottle by shaking. The powder was easy to mix, although there was a little bit of residue left in the water bottle. If you are using a bottle specifically for mixing powders (the ones with a ball), I could see less residue after mixing. The drink tasted delicious; no gritty taste. I enjoyed drinking the protein mixture and found the flavor to be very pleasant.

If you are looking for a good protein formula, I would recommend Naturade All Natural Pea Protein 100% Vegan Formula. The powder is easy to mix and the flavor is delicious. Do some further research about "natural flavors" or carrageenan to fully understand the ingredients list. I plan on experimenting with adding the protein powder to baked good as a way to boost protein intake.

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Please check with your healthcare professional before changing your diet or starting a new diet.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...