Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Eco-Friendly Excitement: Compostable Plastic Cup?

During our last road trip, we discovered a fun little lunch place. The place serves some organic and some locally sourced foods and everything is compostable, including the food (without the oils), bowls, utensils, and plastic cups. I have not done much research on compostable plastic. I do know that something is added to the plastic to make it biodegradable. I saved the plastic cup to add to my compost bin and see just how it takes to decompose. I will keep you up to date!

>> Have you every tried to compost plastic? Were you successful or not?



3 comments:

Jen said...

I have found that a lot of the biodegradable plastic is compostable only in a facility. The temps of the home composter don't get hot enough. But I have had success with composting the SunChips bags in our backyard composter!

Katherines Corner said...

great post. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

CelloMom said...

Hi Katie, I was also excited when our local café started serving their cold drinks in biodegradable cups. I thought this might be a nice experiment for CelloPlayer, so we put one cup in our worm bin, and one on the compost heap outside where it could catch some sun. After a whole summer (3 months) we couldn't see a change in either cup. So that was disappointing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...