Thursday, May 16, 2013

3 Ways to Make Time for Myself

Welcome to the May 2013 Natural Living Blog Carnival: Taking Time for Mom. This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Natural Living Blog Carnival hosted by Happy Mothering and The Pistachio Project through the Green Moms Network. Oftentimes, Moms are so busy taking care of their families that they forget to take care of themselves. This month our carnival participants have written posts about what they do just for themselves.
—–

As a new mom, it is often times hard for me to find time to do things for myself that I used to do pre-baby. Okay, I have no time to do things for myself that I used to do. I am lucky to eat three meals a day and drink enough water. However, I do realize the importance of taking time for myself (Katie time). My strategy of taking care of myself involves prioritizing, tag teaming with my husband, and multi-tasking.
  1. Prioritizing

    Recognizing that I might be able to accomplish only one goal per day is important for keeping sane. Each morning, I determine one or two goals that I want to accomplish, whether it be working out, gardening, or shopping. I also do not beat myself up for not accomplishing what I set out to do. Taking care of myself means staying mentally healthy.
  2. Tag teaming with my husband

    Communication with my husband is probably one of the most important things I can do. If I am having a difficult day or need some help, I can reach out to him to take care of the baby for a little bit. I try to plan time for myself during the week, which might include watering the garden or going to the grocery store while he watches the baby. Grocery shopping is very therapeutic for me and being able to do it by myself is even better. I regroup and recharge during this time.
  3. Multi-tasking

    I am starting to realize that if I multi-task now, I can make more time for myself later. Making a phone call or responding to email while I feed the baby are great ways to take care of tasks and free up a few minutes for myself after the feeding.
It is important to make sure that all three strategies are used. Planning ahead of time and recognizing when I need a little extra time for myself are very important skills to have as a new mother. I am slowly weaving in my pre-baby activities. Sometimes, it might not even be about taking time for myself, but figuring out how I can incorporate the baby into my activities. By including the baby in the things that I want to accomplish, I feel like I am able to take care of my responsibilities and accomplish the things I want to accomplish for myself. And if mommy accomplishes what she wants to accomplish, then everyone is happy.

>> How do you make time for yourself?
  
—–
Visit Happy Mothering and The Pistachio Project to learn more about participating in next month’s Natural Living Blog Carnival! Please take some time to enjoy the posts our other carnival participants have contributed:


8 comments:

Cindy @ OnePartSunshine said...

I am in the same situation! I have an 8mo baby and it is so hard to find time for myself. Especially on days like today when she refuses to nap! I try to read while she nurses to sleep. But mostly I count on my husband to take over so I can get a few moments alone.

Chrystal @ Happy Mothering said...

It's amazing how relaxing going grocery shopping by yourself is, isn't it? That's one thing that I do actually get to go do by myself because it was just too hard with both of mine since my now 3-year old likes to run to the produce section and start eating no matter if I fed her right before or not.

Unknown said...

Agree on all three. I have a list I make every night before bed, and I circle my most important 3 things to get done that day. If I am on a roll,then I tackle down the list. The next night I do it again. This helps me get a good night sleep and not wakeup thinking about what all needs done.

Alanna B said...

I often forget (maybe even at times avoid) asking my husband.

As a stay at home mom, I often feel like all things around the house are "my job", when in reality...he is responsible for plenty too.

Green Grandma said...

You know you're an overworked mom when getting out to the grocery store alone is considered "me time!"

Brittney Minor said...

yes, yes and yes! :) Sometimes it's easy to get off course and get overwhelmed, but it is true that if we prioritize and strategize, we can do all we need to do in a day and hopefully have peace of mind!

Amanda said...

Excellent reminder, especially during the first year: the sleep-optional, clothing-optional, personal-hygiene-optional phase in your child's life! When I had my first I felt so inept - how could I not even get the dishes done? Now looking back I realize how much I was accomplishing just by being there for my little one. It is really, really hard not to lose your mind on a daily basis during the first year, but it gets better, I promise!

Brittany Thomas said...

It's so important to tag team with your spouse and yet it's so easy to dismiss or forget. I really have to make a conscious effort to remember to ask my husband to watch the kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...