apple tree for me. I decided to make apple butter and can it. After a little research, I noted that I needed to add a little acidity and to thin the apple butter a little to reduce the air bubbles in the jars. As I was filling the canning jars with the apple butter, I was faintly reminded of apple sauce. I was curious: what is the difference between apple sauce and apple butter?
Here are the main differences:
- Apple sauce is prepared quickly, while apple butter cooks for a long time (up to 10 hours)
- Apple sauce has a lighter color (shorter cooking time), while apple butter has a darker color (longer cooking time)
- Apple sauce has water added, while apple butter has spices added
- Apple butter is thicker and more caramelized due to the longer cooking time
- Apple sauce is typically pureed or mashed, while apple butter is spreadable and has a smooth, thick consistency
- Apple sauce is used as a side dish, while apple butter is used as a spread/condiment because of its rich flavor
>> Do you prefer apple sauce or apple butter??