Today, I received the follow up that wanted me to wire about $1,600 to someone and then they would wire me back about $1,800 plus $150 to make up for fees. This is a standard fishing scam! If this was a legitimate offer from PineCone Research, they would wire the money to me first or it would not cost me anything.
Upon further investigation of the follow up email, I noticed the following things "wrong" with it:
- Return address was actually a .org (versus the real .com ending). I found this out by clicking reply and seeing what address came up. Never trust the name that shows up.
- Fonts were different types and sizes
- Header and footer were not standard for PineCone Research emails
- The original email has a misspelling in the Subject line
- The website in the original email no longer loads
PineCone Research has posted a Security Notice.