Friday, December 28, 2012

Hempseed Apricot Chews [Recipe]

I found this recipe when doing the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart in January. I searched Whole Foods recipes for vegan recipes and decided to try making these Hempseed Apricot Chews. I have made them several times since January and each time, I fall more in love with them. The flavors meld together after one or two days, and the chews become even tastier. The best thing about the recipe is that you can add/remove the spices to your liking.

For a healthy, satisfying treat, try a bite of the Hempseed Apricot Chews. And if you do not like at first bite, put them in fridge, and try them tomorrow.

Hempseed Apricot Chews
Adapted from a Whole Foods recipe

Dairy free

Gluten free
High protein
No added sugar

Raw
Vegan
Vegetarian
Wheat free

Yields: 16 squares

Ingredients
3 cups (about 1 pound) dried apricots, roughly chopped
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 cup shelled hempseeds
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract (I used regular organic vanilla extract)
2 tbsp protein powder (I used Tropical Traditions hempseed protein powder)


Optional: other spices like cinnamon, cloves, or cayenne for a spicy kick.

*Katie's adaptations/notes in blue


Directions
  1. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until mixture forms a chunky paste (this takes a little while, be patient).  Make sure that the total amount fits into your food processor before you begin.
  3. Transfer to lined pan and press with spatula to create even thickness.
  4. Cover and chill until firm, at least 1-2 hours, and then cut into squares for serving.
  5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Info
Total servings: 16 squares
Per serving (1 square), based on my calculations of above ingredients

130 calories
2.7g total fat
0g saturated fat
0mg cholesterol
15mg sodium
18.5g carbohydrate (2.4g dietary fiber, 13g sugar)
4.3g protein

Hempseed Apricot Chews are a great source of energy and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as protein. These tasty little squares are a perfect on-the-go snack. They will even satisfy your sweet tooth!



This recipe was adapted by All Natural Katie based on another recipe. If you post the recipe on a blog/website, please link back to the original post or cite the original post. If you see this Hempseed Apricot Chews recipe anywhere else, please email me.


3 comments:

judy gardner said...

my nephew's gf has gone vegetarian, so i will pass this on to her! thanks for sharing!
velvetelvis46@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I don't have any special dietary needs but I do love recipes for making my own healthy snacks. This one sounds nice and I could see using other dried fruits as well!
Thanks!

Allyson Bossie said...

I am not vegetarian, but my daughter has developed an allergy to gluten (she stays covered from head to toe in hives and eczema, so sad) and I am looking for great recipes like this to give her "treats" without gluten!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...