Friday, June 13, 2014

SckoonCup Reusable Menstrual Cup [Review]

I remember my first reusable menstrual cup. I had many hesitations and decided to absolutely not mention it to my husband. I had just thrown away all disposable menstrual products (pads and tampons) and armed myself with cloth menstrual pads (mama cloth) and my first menstrual cup. After a few periods, I preferred the menstrual cup to the cloth pads. The cup was low maintenance, only needing to be emptied 2-3 times a day (depending on flow) and very easy to clean. In the past few years, more brands have entered the reusable menstrual products market, offering different and newer designs. SckoonCup menstrual cup offers the most advanced molding technology and design for the ultimate comfort and security during your period.

Sckoon Menstrual Cup    
   ($36.99)
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.


The Good
The Not So Good
High quality, soft, medical silicone

Easy to insert and remove

Easy to clean

Unique contour design


Warning: This post will discuss a medical grade silicone receptacle that is used during menstruation. If you are sensitive to blood or medical talk, feel free not to continue reading.

The SckoonCup came just in time for my period to return post-partum and post breastfeeding. After about 20 months of being period-free, Aunt Flo return the first day of our beach vacation. The baby and I were in the process of weaning off breastfeeding. The telltale signs of a period about the start were showing. The first day I did not breastfeed, the period returned. The SckoonCup reusable menstrual cup welcomed my period back.

SckoonCup is made in the USA from 100% high quality medical grade silicone. The silicone is flexible enough to be folded for insertion, but thick enough that it pops right into place. The outer curve and edges of SckoonCup are a lot smoother than other reusable menstrual cups.

I use the C-fold (squeeze sides together and fold in half vertically). As soon as I insert the cup and let go, it pops right into position. A twist or two (sideways, holding at the base) and I'm ready to go. I love the easy insertion and removal. To remove, you reach in and grab the bottom. Squeeze to break the seal and take out of the body.

Cleaning is also easy. Dump the contents into the toilet. I do not mind getting blood on my hands, but if you do, use a toilet paper or a tissue to hold the cup. During each change, I rinse with warm water. I wash the cup with soap once a day. Every couple of months, I sterilize the cup by boiling it in water for 15 minutes. I have never had any issues with staining, smells, etc. Air dry if you do not need to use immediately, or wipe with a towel/tissue.

Let's talk about the sizing. SckoonCup comes in two sizes (information from Sckoon's website):

Size 1 - Small, for women who have not previously given birth vaginally. Capacity - 23 ml
   Length (no including the stem): 1.75"
   Diameter (top): 1.5"
Size 2 - Large, for women who have given birth vaginally. Capacity - 30 ml

I have given birth vaginally (once). Based on Sckoon's recommendations, I would have to select Size 2 (Large). However, I know that I have a shallow vagina that is somewhat on the smaller size. I know this from using other menstrual cups that are larger in size. Since I have a shallow and smaller vagina, I went with Size 1 (small). The fit is perfect! My recommendation is to get acquainted with the size of your vagina and select the size based on that. Every woman is different, whether she has given birth vaginally or not.

I have two other reusable menstrual cups by two different brands. I love that the SckoonCup has a smaller and slimmer design. I like that I forget that I am wearing the SckoonCup. Sckoon's design fits me very well. SckoonCup has become my favorite reusable menstrual cup because of the slim design and easy insertion/removal. Try this healthier alternative to tampons and disposable pads.


Disclosure: Thank you to SckoonCup for providing samples of the products mentioned in this post. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of the Green Moms Network, and the content and opinions expressed here are 100% my own. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...