Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Weekly Challenge: Eating Out of the Freezer - Day 2 [#CTWW]

The challenge for this week is to not buy food at the grocery store. You can read about this week's challenge here: Eating Out of the Freezer, Day 1.


Day 2 (Tuesday)


Breakfast
Snowville Creamery grass-fed milk (fridge, new container bought last week)
Organic fried egg with organic coconut oil (fridge, picked up from CSA farm last week)
Organic Ezekiel bread (freezer, I usually freeze 1/2 of the bread)

Snacks
Honey (pantry, local)
Organic pear (fridge, bought last week)
Almonds (freezer)

Lunch
Sauteed fermented cabbage (left-over from last night, previously fermented with my dad)
Organic quinoa with dried herbs (left-over from last night)
Coconut date roll (pantry)

Snacks
Stonyfield organic yogurt (fridge, case of yogurt bought last week)
Organic banana (fridge, bought last week)
Organic apple (fridge, bought last week)

Dinner
Pizza, made with:
   Trader Joe's pizza dough (freezer)
   Organic chicken, left-over from Monday's meal
   Za'atar seasoning (pantry)
   Organic onion (fridge, left over from last week's meal)
   Organic tomato (grown in our garden)
   Organic Serrano peppers (grown in our garden)
   Organic cheddar cheese (fridge, previously bought)

Thoughts: The second day was not too bad. Now the challenging part comes. In terms of vegetarian eating (me), I have enough grains/rices, frozen veggies, and cheese to make some good meals. The challenge really begins with cooking meals with meat (for my husband).

The two remaining meat items in the freezer are a whole chicken (you can see it in the photo above, top middle) and bacon. Defrosting the chicken will take at least 2 days and I am saving it for a big meal with our friends. I usually have bacon on hand for some rare reason that I need or we have guests for weekend breakfast. I buy bacon very rarely, so I do not see myself cooking with the bacon just because I want to create a meal with meat (my husband will just have to eat one or two vegetarian meals this week).

I did discover uncured sopresata salami in the pantry (and it is nearing expiration), so I will look up some recipes tomorrow. I am thinking pasta with veggies and chunks of sopresata. (Yea, my husband was not really sold on this idea either, but I promised him I would find a delicious recipe.)

>> What tips do you have for eating out of the freezer and/or pantry?
  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...