Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Healthy Nut-Free Snack [Review]

Healthy and filling snack foods always catch my eye. When I came across Tiger Nuts, I was curious what these "nuts" were all about. Nuts are a big part of my family's snacks because they are nutritious, healthy, and delicious! Tiger Nuts are actually tubers (a root or something that grounds underground). When they dry, they resemble chickpeas in size and look. Tiger Nuts are a low-calorie, healthy, nut-free snack food that can help with weight loss.



Tiger Nuts                  
Tiger Nuts Flour       
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Healthy snack food

Portable

High in fiber, keeps you full




Let's talk about what Tiger Nuts actually are. They are tubers, not nuts. If you are looking for a nut-free snack or a nut-free gluten-free flour, then this is the perfect product for you. Tiger Nuts are raw and dried. They are high in fiber, which keeps you feeling full longer and helps aid in moving food through the digestive tract. Tiger Nuts also act a prebiotic to stimulate the growth of good bacteria.

One ounce of tiger nuts (~50 pieces) contain 120 calories, 10g of fiber, and 7g of fat. Compared to other nuts, Tiger Nuts are a great low calorie, low fat, and high fiber snack.

I received a package of peeled Tiger Nuts and a package of Tiger Nuts gluten-free flour. Tiger Nuts are a great on-the-go snack and the package is portable. They are raw nuts (tubers) that have been dried and look like chickpeas. They are slightly chewy, in a satisfying kind of way. Tiger Nuts have a sweet and nutty flavor. My toddler and I have enjoyed snacking on these. The size is just right for him to be able to grab and chew on, though the package does caution not to give to young children. We eat a lot of nuts and I have really liked the change up.

Tiger Nuts Organic Gluten-Free flour was intriguing. We have done some gluten elimination diets and I have some gluten-sensitive friends, so I like to keep a variety of gluten-free flours on hand. Additionally, I like to cook and bake with gluten-free flours to change things up a bit.

Tiger Nuts flour was a new flour for me. The flour is made from ground up tiger nuts, so it has the same great nutritional benefits. The flour is milled finely. I read some reviews that mentioned the flour being gritty. I did not find this to be case when I baked Buckwheat Bites (recipe coming soon!) with tiger nut flour. I would not equate the tiger nut flour to a powdery flour like coconut flour or millet flour, but it is more fine that stone ground whole wheat flour. I really like the sweetness and heartiness that it added to my Buckwheat Bites.


If you are looking for a new nut-free snack or are diving into the gluten-free world, give Tiger Nuts a try. They are delicious and can be used in a variety of ways.


Disclosure: I received a sample of the product to facilitate this review. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...