Saturday, March 30, 2013

Garden: Spring Cleaning

Today is a gorgeous day outside. The sun is shinning and the temperature is warming up above 50 degrees. I believe some might call this a perfect day to start prepping the garden and flower beds for the spring and summer. I cut away most of the dried branches and foliage in the Fall, but there were still a few plants that needed a trimming. The compost piles and bin needed some dried material.

The exciting part about trimming in the Spring is that you can see what plants are starting to come up. I love walking around the yard and seeing all the little sprouts. First, this means that warmer weather is almost here. Second, it means that the plants survived the winter yet again (hehe, I have killed some plants in my gardening days). I cannot wait to start planning veggies in the garden in April.

Summer is just around the corner!

>> How do you prep your garden beds??
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I started some hot peppers indoors and they have all sprouted. WhooHoo! I'm also getting my containers ready to go ... it's still a couple weeks off before I can plant but ... I'll be ready. The weather is so unstable right now ... I have a fig tree and a hydrangea and both are budding. So I've been taking them in at night so that a surprise frost/freeze won't kill the tender buds. Hoping for both figs and beautiful flowers this year. :-) Have a great weekend!

Allyson Bossie said...

We till the garden under in the fall so that all the plants that are left go back to the earth and nourish it. In the Spring, we till it again and plant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...