Friday, February 13, 2015

Sun'n'Fun SPF30 Mineral Sunscreen [Review]

Sunscreen is a necessity for our family during the summer months. While it is recommended that sunscreen be worn every single day, I tend to wear sunscreen during the summer and during the middle of the day when the sun is the strongest. I try to limit the amount of products that I put on my body. The products that I do put on my skin and my toddler's skin are scrutinized for natural ingredients. Children's skin is even more sensitive and permeable than adult skin, so choosing natural body products is very important. Sun'n'Fun Broad Spectrum SPF30 Sunscreen provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with mostly natural ingredients

Sun'n'Fun SPF30 Sunscreen    
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Mineral-based
Potentially hazardous ingredients
Easily application

Non-greasy, non-NANO ingredients




My sunscreen collection contains a few different brands. While I prefer the most natural and organic ingredients, my husband does not like to have a white tint to his skin from the thick zinc-oxide sunscreen and rubbing thick sunscreen on a mobile toddler's skin just does not happen sometimes. Therefore, I look for sunscreens with the most natural ingredients and non-nano minerals. Nano minerals and particles are absorbed through the skin and enter the the blood stream, while non-nano particles stay on top of the skin and provide protection from the sun.

Let's start off with the ingredients list.

Sun'n'Fun Broad Spectrum SPF30 Sunscreen Ingredients
Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide, non-nano (20%)
Inactive ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Sorbitan Stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Hydrogenated Methyl Abietate (Pine Wood Resin), Cetyl Dimethicone, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Organic Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol (from Soy), Hyaluronic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Laminaria Ochroleuca (Kelp) Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Extract, Organic Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil, Organic Rosa Canina (Dog Rose) Hips Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil,, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Calophylium Tacamahaca (Tamanu) Seed Oil, Organic Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Organic Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Macadamia Integrifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil, Coenzyme Q10, Organic Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Extract, Organic Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Myrciaria Dubia (Camu Camu), Polyaminopropyl Biguanide (Cosmocil CQ), Theobroma Cacao (Cacao) Extract, Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit Extract.

EWG Score: 1 (low hazard)

EWG Skin Deep Database rates most of the ingredients from 0 to 1, with a couple of the ingredients rated as 2. Out of all of the sunscreens that are available for purchase, this ingredients is low hazard and poses little toxicity to the human body. Let's talk about some ingredients.

Zinc Oxide is a mineral that is used in a lot of sunscreens, especially natural and organic sunscreens. This mineral is what protects the sun's rays from causing damage to the skin. I like that the Zinc Oxide is of the non-nano form.

Tocopherol is a common ingredient skin products, even in natural and organic ones. The Tocopherol in this sunscreen is from soy, so there is some potential for GMO ingredients.

There are several chemical ingredients. Although EWG's Skin Deep Database rates them anywhere from 0 - 1 toxicity, the data for some of them in not available. Therefore, I would take the 0-1 rating with a "grain of salt." Furthermore, there are a lot of extracts in the ingredients. I would like to get a better understanding of what types of solvents and chemicals these are extracted with. Extraction chemicals can sometimes be very toxic.

The chocolate smell comes from the Theobroma Cacao (Cacao) Extract. The sunscreen does have a tint of chocolate color to it, not the usual white color you find with mineral sunscreens. The chocolate smell is not overpowering. It is very unique and I like it. Perfect for kids!

I like that a lot of the ingredients are organic. That is very important to me in any product that I put on my body or in my body. I would like to see Sweetsation Therapy move toward reducing the chemical ingredients and increasing the number of organic ingredients.

How did it work? The sunscreen went on easily and absorbed quickly into the skin. The skin did not have a greasy feeling nor did it have the white tint is common with some natural sunscreens.

I cannot comment on how well the sunscreens work to prevent sunburn since we are in the middle of winter. Based on the ingredients list, I am confident that Sun'n'Fun SPF30 Sunscreen will do the job.


Disclosure: Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...