Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Baby Ring Sling Carrier [Review]

Babywearing is something near and dear to my heart. There have been countless times where wearing my son when he was a baby and even wearing him now that he is a toddler has saved me. We started off with a soft structured carrier and a stretchy wrap. Recently, I acquired a ring sling to add to the baby wearing collection. Mamaway Baby Sling is a hands-free baby carrier to safely carry a baby from newborn to toddler.


Mamaway Baby Sling        
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
100% Pima cotton fabric

Durable, heavy duty Nylon ring

Machine washable




Mamaway baby sling is made from 100% Pima cotton fabric with a durable, heavy duty Nylon ring that can hold a baby through toddler age. I was a bit worried about the plastic ring, so I did some research. The plastic ring is made with woven Nylon, which makes it very durable. Mamaway claims that the ring sling can support up to 110 lbs (50 kgs). Wow! That could hold a small person! This is due to the non-stretchy cotton fabric and the heavy duty ring. For a ring sling, you want non-stretchy fabric, especially when carrying a bigger baby or a toddler. I recently tried to wear my 30 lb toddler in a stretchy wrap and he was bouncing all over the place when I walked.

Mamaway is my first official baby sling and I love it! I should have purchased a ring sling a long time ago. I love the high quality of the fabric and the adorable designs. The Pima cotton fabric has a good feel to it. I feel luxurious using the sling.

I chose the Red Anchors design. There are a lot of adorable designs for boys, girls, and gender neutral. There are even Mickey Mouse themed designs.



The ring sling is a good length. The length would work for someone who is more on the small side, but also work for plus sizes. The "tail" (fabric part left over) does hang down, but it does not get in the way. The "tail" can be tucked inside or wrapped around the ring portion.

Usage: The hands-free baby sling is pretty easy to put on. The first time you use it, weave the fabric through the rings. After the first time, you can either keep the fabric in the rings or take it out. Decide which shoulder (or hip) you are going to wear the baby sling on and put it on. Place the child in the ring sling and tighten until the child is secure and it feels comfortable. To take off, just loosen the rings. The ring sling stores in the attached pouch.


Results: I believe that wearing a child should be easy and quick. While some carriers are easy to put on, others are not. I love that the ring sling is quick and easy to put on. Even my husband was able to wear our toddler and put it on himself. I wore my toddler in the hip carry as this is about our only possibility at 2.5 years old. I did learn that placing the rings close to the top of my shoulder before tightening helped to get a good fit and not have the rings be too low (potentially digging into my toddler's thighs). I felt like my toddler was secure in the ring sling. The fabric part over my shoulder was fairly comfortable. Supposedly, one should be able to carry a child in a ring sling all day. I'm not quite sure that I would be able to do this with a 30 lbs toddler, but I could see being able to carry him for a few hours.

(My apologies for the blurry photos - squirmy toddler!)



I love the Mamaway cotton ring sling and would recommend it! I love the high quality fabric, the adorable design, and the comfort and ease of using it for hands-free babywearing.




Disclosure: I received a sample of the product to facilitate this review. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...