Thursday, April 2, 2015

How to Detoxify with Bentonite Clay [Review]

Whether you have used clay before or not, everyone is familiar with a clay mask. Bentonite clay is a common clay used in facial care products and also widely used to make homemade body cleaning products like facial masks. Clay can absorb toxins from the body to clean the skin. Bentonite clay is the most gentle, natural and effective skin care available. Organic Bentonite Clay heals damaged skin, deeply cleanses pores, reduces blemishes and acne, and absorbs toxins beneath the surface to restore, revitalize and renew.



Organic Bentonite Clay Mask       
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
100% pure and natural Bentonite Clay
Plastic container
Multiple uses






Bentonite clay is absorbent, which makes it a great natural skin care tool. Sodium Bentonite expands when wet and absorbs as much as several times its dry mass in water. The absorption properties allow Bentonite clay to absorb impurities, extract toxins, deeply cleanse and tighten skin, and stimulate circulation.

Amaki Bentonite Clay comes in a 1 pound jar that contains Sodium Bentonite. The Bentonite clay is 100% pure and natural, without any additives, artificial colors or fragrances, preservatives, etc. Just pure clay! The package also comes with a Konjac sponge and a salon quality mask brush. The 16 ounce jar contains enough clay for more than 50 treatments.

Ingredients: 100% pure Sodium Bentonite Clay

Usage: Recommended recipe is to mix equal parts of the clay with apple cider vinegar or spring water and stir the mixture until it reaches a paste consistency. Metal bowls and utensils are not recommended since the clay absorbs metals and become less effective. I mixed about 1 teaspoon of the clay with some water and kept adding a little of the clay/water until it reached the consistency. I mixed the clay and water in my palm with the index finger of the other hand. Otherwise, I would use a wooden coffee stirring stick that I have in the kitchen.

I applied the clay mixture to my face and let it dry for about 15-20 minutes before getting in the shower. If you have sensitive skin, leave the clay for 5-10 minutes. In the shower, I rinsed the clay off with my hands. A warm wash cloth can also be used. After getting out of the shower, I applied my usual moisturizer (organic Argan Oil).

Bentonite clay can also be used as a hair mask. Separate the hair into 4 sections and apply the clay to the scalp land hair. Leave on for 20-25 minutes and thoroughly wash out with warm water.

I really want to try using clay for a detox bath. Amaki recommends adding 1/4 cup to 1 cup of clay to running water until dissolved. Soak in the clay bath for 20-30 minutes and drink lots of water afterwards.

Results: When clay dries on your skin, it makes the skin feel tight. Washing it off with my fingers in the shower took a few minutes, so next time I will likely use a wash cloth to make sure to get it all off. The skin on my face felt smooth and fresh. The skin felt moisturized, though I still applied some of my usual light moisturizer. I really like the immediate results from using the clay mask. Even if I do not have 15-20 minutes, I can keep the clay mask on my face for 5 minutes and still gain the benefits of clearer skin.

If you are looking for a pure Sodium Bentonite Clay for a clay mask or other homemade cosmetic uses, I would recommend Amaki Bentonite Clay.

I will be posting a recipe for homemade toothpaste soon! The picture below shows the rich gray color of hydrated Bentonite Clay.


Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...