Monday, April 20, 2015

Truly's Natural Deodorant [Review]

A few years ago, I stopped using standard drug store deodorant and antiperspirant brands and made the switch to all natural deodorants. I was not comfortable putting the synthetic and toxic chemicals on my skin. The beauty products that we put on our skin get absorbed into the body. Simple and natural ingredients, paired with essential oils, can effectively keep underarm stink away. Truly's Natural Deodorant is made with natural ingredients and lasts all day to keep you stink-free!




Truly's Natural Deodorant        
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Organic and natural ingredients
Comes in a plastic container
Works to control odor
Comes off on clothing, washes away





Most natural deodorants have similar ingredients to control odors. A natural deodorant is not meant to reduce or eliminate perspiration, but to focus on creating a balanced pH so that the bacteria that cause the nasty smell do not grow or multiply. Perspiration (and wet underarms) will still occur, unless it is a cool day and physical activity is very limited, but the deodorant will help to keep stink from preventing. Let's talk about the ingredients.

Truly's Natural Deodorant Ingredients: Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Powdered Sugar (organic sugar, organic tapioca starch), Baking soda, Beeswax.

EWG's Skin Deep database rates all ingredients as 0 (no toxicity).

The main ingredient that keeps the pH balanced and the bacteria from growing is baking soda. The coconut oil helps a little also, but is mostly used to keep everything together and ease in applying to the underarms. The beeswax is also an important ingredient because that is what keeps the deodorant from rubbing off. The powdered sugar seems like it would be a breeding ground for bacteria. However, there is a point for it! Sugar combines with perspiration to create a hyper osmotic solution that prevents odor causing bacteria from growing.

If you are sweating, your underarms will be wet and any clothing that touches this area will absorb the wetness. There is some staining on clothing that occurs (mostly from the coconut oil and beeswax). The stain seems to wash away.

Since the main ingredient is coconut oil, the deodorant can melt in warmer temperatures. This is why Truly chose the plastic jar, as opposed to a stick, to hold the deodorant. Although stick deodorants are easier to apply, sometimes, I like having the ability to control how much I apply to my understand. Sticks can cause more deodorant to be applied and the extra deodorant always seems to transfer to my clothing.

Usage: The deodorant is simple to apply. I take my index finger and scoop a little bit of the cream deodorant on it. You can also use the back of a nail to scrape a pea sized amount out. Then, I use the index and middle finger to apply the deodorant to my underarms, rubbing it in. Remember to rinse your fingers afterwards.


Results: Even though I eat a pretty clean diet (organic/natural food, whole foods, no processed foods, etc.), I can get pretty stinky. If I do not apply deodorant in the morning, I have stinky underarm odor by the afternoon. Natural deodorants do work for me, but I have to reply at least once per day. Truly's Natural Deodorant worked as expected. I did have to reapply right after lunch and was able to keep stink away for most of the day.

If you are looking for a natural deodorant with organic ingredients, I recommend you try Truly's Natural Deodorant. They even sell a kid's natural deodorant!



Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Reference ID: pm58155fc7f528a19b9fc3599b65047290.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...