Sunday, September 13, 2015

Organic Grass Fed Cheese by Rumiano [Review]

Purchasing grass-fed dairy is very important to me. While I am not a purist, I will look for grass-fed cheese, milk, and yogurt and purchase it when available. Rumiano Cheese Company is one of the oldest family-owned cheese companies in California, offering organic grass-fed cheese that is also Non-GMO project verified.


Rumiano Grass-Fed Cheese        
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
USDA Certified Organic

Grass-fed milk

Non-GMO Project Verified




I remember Rumiano cheeses were one of the first grass-fed cheese brands that I began purchasing. Rumiano cheeses are available at one of the local Whole Foods stores. They are found in the refrigerated cheese aisle and are easy to spot by the colorful packaging. Each package contains 8 oz of cheese. Cheese comes in bars or sliced, depending on what your store offers.


Why grass-fed cheese? Cows naturally feed on grass and plants. That is what their stomachs are designed for. Feeding cows their natural diet is going to result in the healthier and most nutritious milk. There are many health benefits, not only for the cows, but for you to eat grass-fed dairy.

  • Higher nutrition
  • Higher Omega-3 fatty acids
  • Better Omega 3-to-6 ratio
  • Higher CLAs (conjugated linoleic acid)
  • Higher Vitamin E and Beta Carotene
The Northwestern Coast of California allows pretty much year round access to grass pastures. When the weather is too wet or cold to be out in the pastures, haylage (partially dried silage) and silage (compacted grass and green fodder) are used to feed the cows. 

I love that Rumiano takes such great measures to ensure that cows are truly grass-fed. As a consumer, this is very important to me when choosing which type of cheese I am going to buy. Though I don't buy grass-fed cheese 100% of the time, I will go out of my way to purchase it at Whole Foods (making an extra stop) or at the farmers market. 

Rumiano grass-fed cheese comes in a variety of types, including Mild, Medium and Sharp Cheddar, Chipotle Cheddar, Colby, Fontina, Gouda, Havarti, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Reduced Fat Cheddar, and Smoked Mozzarella. What a great line up and such a variety of cheeses! Medium Cheddar and Smoked Mozzarella are our favorite flavors!. The cheddar does taste creamier and more rich than a even a conventional cheddar that I could purchase at Whole Foods. The cheese melts well whether you are making grilled cheese or adding it to a cheesy baked dish. The Smoked Mozzarella adds such depth and flavor to grilled cheese or to an egg sandwich. 

If you are looking for a high quality grass-fed cheese, try Rumiano. Rumiano grass-fed cheese is affordable and are more nutritious. 


Disclosure: I received a sample of the product to facilitate this review. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...