Friday, November 11, 2011

Winterize Your Home - Yard [#CTWW]


This week's challenge comes from Jen.

This week, prepare your home for winter. Do at least one thing which will ensure that your winter is Eco-friendly. Need some ideas? Click HERE. If you are moving into spring/summer, prepare your home for the warm months ... you'll find some ideas HERE.

Or ...


If you've already prepared your home for the cold (or warm) months ahead, we'd like to know what you've done. Please include tips, ideas and any do-it-yourself advice.

I plan on doing several posts about our "winterizing process." Yesterday, I covered Heating. Today, I will 
cover the Yard. Our yard is pretty big and we have some big, old trees that drop an unbelievable amount of leaves.  Let me tell you how we are preparing the yard for the winter.


Yard Improvements:
  1. Mulched leaves placed in compost bin, compost piles, flower beds, and garden. Mulched leaves provide protection for plants during the winter. In the garden beds, they break down to provide nutrients for the next growing season.
  2. Dried flowers and plants removed and placed into compost piles and bin to bread down.
  3. Rain barrel drained and stored. I was able to water every single plant, bush, and young tree. Next year, I will disconnect the rain barrel earlier so that I do not have a full barrel of water and have to spend over 1 hour pouring, carrying, and watering every single plant. (great exercise though!)

>>  How are your preparing your yard for the cold weather months?
 


5 comments:

Randa Derkson said...

Thank you for following me on GFC. I now follow back.

The Rosenau's said...

Thanks for following my blog! I'm following back!

Julianne
www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I'm a new GFC follower from Social Sunday Blog Hop. Hope you have the time to come check out my blog!

http://elizakprints.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Sounds like your yard is set for the cold months. Around our area, people bag up their leaves for collection (I know ... go figure). So we ask if we can have a bag or two and I use them in a compost bin on my patio (we live in an apartment). I also spread them around the plants that will winter outside. It works great. In the spring my compost bin is full of rich, dark dirt (and a bunch of happy little worms) and my wintering plants wake up and dance to the spring.

Unknown said...

Small Footprints - isn't it great to get free leaves from neighbors?

We have so many leaves that we put them everywhere in the yard, compost, and then have to rake some towards the curb for pickup by our "village" (not big enough to be called a township). I know that they use it for composting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...