Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Eco-Friendly Workout or Not?

I have not been to the gym in months because I have been running outside in the mornings. However, running as my sole form of working out gets boring after a while. Since it was hot outside, I thought that going to the gym (a cool and controlled environment) would be the perfect way to motivate me to work out. As I walk in to the gym, I realize that it is very hot inside. I walk around the corner to the elliptical machines and sneak a peak at the thermostat - 87 degrees! Eek! I assume the air conditioning was out. Either way, I was at the gym and I was determined to work out!

As I am working out in 87 degree weather (no fans, no breeze, no water with me), I start to think about the convenience, but also the environmental impact, of air conditioning. Yes, I love being able to go into a cool gym to work out. The air conditioning gives just a little motivation to work out. Would you want to work out if it was 87 degrees? I think not! However, cooling a huge facility also has tremendous impact on the environment.

As I finished powering through the 30 minute workout, I was a little bit glad that the air conditioning was out. I was not using any electricity to power air conditioning. Despite the feeling that I was going to pass out, I was glad to had this small win for the environment.

Disclaimer: I am not promoting working out inside a gym that it is 87 degrees. If you find yourself in a similar situation and you decide to continue with your workout, please drink lots and lots of water.


5 comments:

CelloMom said...

Wow. Sounds like a session of hot yoga.

Gyms need the air conditioning because so many of the workout equipment is based on friction which gives - heat! The more you work on those machines, the warmer you're making the place, sort of a microcosm of the planet's atmosphere. Because all the energy we use eventually turns to heat. Even air conditioning - Especially air conditioning.

It's geeky thoughts like this that keep me out of gyms. And my enormous laziness. (Hi from Small Footprints' Meet&Greet).

Malea said...

I wish I could remember where I read this, or what the name of the gym/company is, but there is a gym somewhere in the USA that generates electricity from the machines in use by members to power part of the building's needs! Really cool! So, if every machine in the gym is going, they can generate at on of electricity to cover their power needs, and not suck up precious resources used for other forms of electricity creation.

Helen's Decor said...

Bless your heart! It's 107 degrees in the valley and was 95 degrees when we got to our mountaintop home. And I'm here to say 87 still sounds unhealthy for breathing in a gym. We just joined the Y and I really hope they don't mess with the a/c this summer. Seriously, that is too high for medical reasons. Hope it was a mistake and won't happen to you again. Please visit me to your right at 114 on Katherines Corner. TY and stay cool. Helen

Unknown said...

Excited to be a new blog follower. I would love if you followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

Katherines Corner said...

you my friend are far better than I...I couldn't do it, I get so sick in the heat. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party. I hope you have a wonderful week xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...