Saturday, June 2, 2012

Scrambled Eggs with Garlic Scapes [Recipe]

One of the treats in our weekly CSA pick-up was garlic scapes. I have never seen garlic scapes, nor have I heard of them. I did a quick search online and found that you can do just about anything with them, from adding chopped scapes to pastas and omelets to making pesto. This morning, I made scrabbled eggs with chopped garlic scapes. They were a little awkward to cut, but the results were delicious.

Raw scapes have a slight garlic taste. Cooked scapes reminded me of asparagus. Here is the simple recipe that I followed. Za'atar was used as a seasoning.

Ingredients
Handful of garlic scapes, chopped
Eggs

Directions
1. On medium heat, sautee garlic scapes in butter for about 5-10 minutes until tender and browned.
2. Add egg mixture and preferred seasonings and cook until eggs are cooked through.

You can also incorporate chopped garlic scapes into an omelet.


2 comments:

Malea said...

Wow, those are kind of cool and alien looking. I've never seen, nor heard of them before.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I love garlic scapes! And like you, the only time I've had them was from a CSA box. I was hoping to find them at the small local farmers market this year, but no luck. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...