Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Adrano Volcano Coffee [review]

Coffee is one of the highlights of my mornings, mid days, and afternoons! I drink coffee for both an energy boost and the flavor. I prefer a strong, bold cup of coffee. Black! Last year, my husband started roasting green coffee beans. This is a great way to obtain organic green coffee beans and roast them to our desired flavor. Heirloom Coffee sources Adrano coffee from small estates in the the Pocos de Caldas volcanic caldera (crater) in Brazil.



Adrano Brazil Volcano Coffee       
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Sustainably grown, direct traded
Not certified organic
Complex, yet smooth flavor and taste






Heirloom Coffee's Adrano coffee is a mix of Mundo Novo, CatuaĆ­ and AcaiĆ” varieties of Arabica beans. The small estates in the volcanic crater grow a variety of unusual Arabica bean sub-types. These unusual beans, paired with the unique volcanic soil and microclimate, create beans that have a variety of flavors. Adrano coffee beans are processed with a dry-process. The beans are large, hard, and have a high sugar content due to full ripening in processing. Flavors include buttery aromas and deep, rich caramel. This coffee has won awards!

The Adrano coffee beans are sold green, meaning that they have not been roasted. Roasting at home is easy and doable! My husband has been using a hot air popper that he purchased on Amazon, but I have also seen these in thrift stores. The coffee beans come with instructions for roasting coffee at home. I would recommend looking at some YouTube videos to understand the process of roasting coffee at home. The green coffee beans can also be roasted in a pan as long as you constantly move them around for even roasting.

Usage: First, my husband roasted the coffee beans to the desired roast level. He over roasted just a bit, so they were past the French Roast level. The color of the beans and ground coffee looked almost black and we could taste a little bit of the burn in the coffee, but it was still drinkable. Next time, he will remove the beans from the hot air popper 1-2 minutes sooner. We used an Aeropress to press Adrano volcano coffee - about 2 spoonfuls of ground coffee per 1 cup of water. We like coffee strong! If you make the coffee and it's too strong, you can dilute by adding a little bit of hot water at a time until you reach your preferred strength.


Results: The coffee was strong, bold and smooth. I could taste the caramel notes in the coffee. Even though we made pretty strong coffee, it was not too acidic. I really like the low acidity, especially since I prefer my coffee stronger and stronger causes sometimes irritates my stomach.


If you are looking for unique coffee beans to try, I recommend Heirloom Coffee's volcano coffee. I The flavor profile of the Adrano volcano coffee will appeal to any palate.



Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own and are honest. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...