Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Green Pancakes with Organic Spirulina Powder [Review]


One of my passions and hobbies is cooking, including baking. In high school, my mom introduced me to baking. I did not start cooking until I was living on my own after I graduated from college. After I got married, I started cooking more meals from scratch, incorporating local produce and exotic spices. While cooking is second nature now, baking is making a comeback. I enjoy trying new recipes and tweaking old recipes to make them healthier. Baked goods can benefit from adding a little organic protein powder or organic spirulina powder to boost the vitamins and nutrients. Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder is a natural source of vital nutrients and vitamins for a healthy body.


Organic Spirulina Powder             ($25.95, 16oz)
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
USDA Certified Organic
Zip lock does not work
Very fine powder, mixes easily
Plastic bag
Great source of vital nutrients




What is spirulina? Spirulina is a natural blue-green algae (cyanbacteria) powder that is very high in protein and nutrients. The algae forms tangled masses in warm alkaline lakes. The algae is dried and prepared as a food or food additive. This algae can be consumed by humans is one of the most potent nutrient sources available. Purchasing organic spirulina is important to avoid any contamination from the ponds and bodies of water where it grows. Contaminated spirulina, potentially non-organic spirulina can contain contaminants that would make it likely unsafe for children to consume because children are more sensitive to the contaminants.

Sari Foods grows spirulina in natural soda lakes in a remote area of Mongolia and is cultivated with pure desert water from 500m underground. This water is naturally free of environmental contaminants and is naturally rich in minerals and trace elements, making the conditions optimal for spirulina that is both pure and nutrient-dense. The area where the spirulina is grown is free of industry and pollution.

Spirulina is a fantastic source of many nutrients and vitamins that naturally boost the immune system and fight aging and free radicals. Nutrients and vitamins include:

  • Dietary protein
  • Calcium
  • Vitamin B12 (perfect for vegetarians and vegans)
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Selenium
  • Beta Carotene
  • Chlorophyll
  • Phytonutrients
  • Antioxidants and essential amino acids (GLA, Omega 3, 6, 9)

Now that we have given a brief overview of spirulina, let's talk about using the powder. Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder is very fine. When I opened the package, the powder poofed out and dusted the counter top, reminding me of very fine all purpose flour. The package has a zip lock top, but it did not work very well. I had a difficult time getting the zipper closed all the way and decided to transfer to a glass container. I would like to see the packaging improved so the zip lock top closes all the way and is easier to close. The powder is so fine that the zip lock needs to work!

I smelled the spirulina powder and tasted a bit on my finger. Very strong smell and even stronger taste. The spirulina powder is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way. One would not necessarily take a teaspoon of spirulina powder and follow with water. The powder can be added to drinks, smoothies, baked goods, etc. 

I have mainly been adding spirulina to baked good like breads and muffins. When I added 1 teaspoon of the organic spirulina powder to pancake batter, it made it very green. Once the pancakes were cooked, the color wasn't as prominent. I think my toddler would find green pancakes fun when he gets a little bit older. I also made homemade raw almond butter and added about 1/2 tsp of the organic spirulina powder to it. Spirulina's deep green color makes it great for natural food coloring. I love the versatility of the spirulina powder. The fine grain of the powder results in easy and quick mixing into your favorite food or drink.

Green Pancakes Recipe
Add 1/2-1 tsp of organic spirulina powder to the pancake batter.

Every week, I am finding new foods and drinks to add the spirulina powder to. As the flu season has started, spirulina powder is a great way to keep my family healthy and strong to combat any illnesses we are exposed to. I keep reminding myself that a little spirulina powder goes a long way. The 16 oz package will last me a long daily with weekly use.

Remember to buy organic spirulina. Conventional and non-organic spirulina can be loaded with heavy metals and toxins that can cause harm to your body. Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder is a potent food additive to naturally boost immunity and strengthen your family's health. I would purchase this product again.

Disclosure: I am not a medical professional. If you have any questions or concerns about using this product, please consult a qualified medical professional. Spirulina use does have precautions and warning, so please do your research on any side effects and interactions. I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...