Thursday, December 25, 2014

Lemon Peel Oil [Review]

Essential oils have become a bigger part of my life over the past 2 years. Since getting pregnant and giving birth, I try to keep our family healthy through natural and homeopathic ways. Not only are essential oils great for keeping your body healthy or for treatment of conditions, but they are also great for naturally scents and homemade cleaning products. Lemon Essential Oil is a common ingredient in essential oil blends and in homemade cleaners.


Lemon Essential Oil            ($17.95, 4oz)
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Pure and undiluted
Smells industrial
Comes with eye dropper lid
Not certified organic
Generous size bottle will last a long time




Pure Body Naturals Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonum) Peel Oil is 100% natural and undiluted. The country of origin is Italy. From my quick research, there are different names for Lemon Peel Oil and they seem to be synonymous. This oil is 100% pure and undiluted. The Lemon Peel Oil is extracted through a cold press method. I waited on more information about the extraction process to understand if any chemicals or solvents are used. Traditionally, a cold press method would not anything other than the machinery to grind the lemon peel.

I have lemon essential oil from another brand, so I am familiar with how lemon essential oil should smell. However, I am also aware that there are different origins that could result in different smells. When I opened the bottle and smelled the lemon peel oil, it smelled of citrus, strong and bold, but also had a bit of an industrial smell. I asked my husband to smell it also and he agreed on the strong industrial cleaner smell. The scents almost reminds me a little of Lemon Balm (think Pledge).

Lemon Peel Oil is great to add to water for flavoring and for digestive purposes. I used the other brand of lemon oil quite often in water and enjoyed the pleasant taste. However, I would not use Pure Body Naturals Lemon Peel Oil in water because the strong industrial cleaner taste was not pleasant when I added two drops of the oil into 16 ounces of water.

Though I do like the citrus smell, I would probably stick to using this product for cleaning purposes. I added about 30 drops of this Lemon Oil into my homemade shower spray and it cut through the strong Tea Tree Oil smell, but was not overpowering with the lemon oil smell.

Lemon Peel Oil is very concentrated. If applied directly to the skin, it must be diluted in an appropriate oil (Jojoba Oil and Grapeseed Oil make the best carrier oils, but can also use Sweet Almond Oil or Olive Oil).

Here are some of the ways that I use Lemon Peel Oil in my home:
  • Homemade Daily Shower Spray recipe - 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 30 drops of Tea Tree Oil, 30 drops of Lemon Peel Oil mixed in a spray bottle. Shake and spray after shower use.
  • Laundry disinfecting - add 10-15 drops (depend on load size) into washing machine.
  • Laundry scenting - add a few drops to a piece of cloth and add to drying machine.
  • Bathroom Deodorizer Spray recipe - 30 drops of Lemon Peel Oil mixed with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake and spray to deodorize.
  • Lemon Tea Tree All Purpose Cleaner recipe

I love the generous 4 oz bottle of the Lemon Peel Oil. This bottle will last a long time. I plan on using the lemon oil for homemade cleaning recipes and purposes. Personally, I would not use this brand of lemon peel oil for therapeutic purposes such as ingestion (diluted) or aromatherapy.

I would like to see Pure Body Naturals move toward organic certification to ensure no pesticides or unwanted chemicals in the lemon oil.

The price is comparable to other brands who offer the 4 oz bottle of conventional lemon peel oil.

Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...