Friday, November 8, 2013

Jamaican Dry Jerk Seasoning with #SwerveSweetie [Recipe]

About one year ago, I got on a kick to make my own seasoning recipes. This kick was largely prompted by reading the ingredients on the favorite Old Bay Seasoning. I thought...I can make this myself! Ever since then, I buy single ingredients in Whole Foods bulk seasoning section and create my own concoctions. Today, I would like to share of my recent favorite recipes, Authentic Jamaican Dry Jerk Seasoning. The source of this recipe is the book: Jerk: Barbecue from Jamaica by Helen Willinsky. I have to admit that I put this seasoning on just about anything.

I am featuring the recipe with one slight change. Instead of sugar, I am using Swerve all natural sweetener. Swerve can be substituted for sugar one-to-one. Swerve tastes, bakes, and measures like sugar with zero calories. I did find that Swerve is a little less sweeter than sugar, but that did not deter me from using the product. Ingredients: erythritol, oligosaccharides and natural flavors.

Jamaican Dry Jerk

Yield: 5 tablespoons

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon onion flakes
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pimento (allspice)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar (or 2 teaspoons Swerve
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried chives or green onions

Directions: Mix together all the ingredients.

Store leftovers in a tightly closed glass jar. Dry Jerk will keep its pungency for over a month.

Source: Jerk: Barbecue from Jamaica by Helen

________________________________________________________________

If you are interested in learning more about Swerve all natural sweetener, check out the upcoming #Switch2Swerve Twitter party on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM EST. You can discover how this all natural sweetener can be used in hundreds of different ways and even win some prizes for yourself. Participants will be challenged to switch to Swerve for 30 days. RSVP for the Twitter party here.

Swerve also offers an opportunity to become a Swerve ambassador.
________________________________________________________________
 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...