Sunday, November 10, 2013

Carrot Souffle for a Vegetarian Thanksgiving [Recipe]

For the last few Thanksgivings, I have gone meat-free. No turkey or ham for this gal! You can read about my first vegetarian Thanksgiving and the vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes I made last year. I am continuing my personal tradition this year with Easy Cranberry Sauce and a new recipe, Carrot Souffle.

The Carrot Souffle is quick and easy to prepare and turns out to be soft clouds of carrot goodness. The first time I made this recipe, I could not believe how amazingly delicious the dish turned out. My husband and I agreed that this would make a perfect dish for a family Thanksgiving dinner. Although I was inspired by The Fresh Market Carrot Souffle dish in their prepared food case, the original recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine and has been adapted by me.

Carrot Souffle

Yield: 6 servings, about 7 cups
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes

Vegetarian, Cane Sugar Free, Grain-Free (sub non-grain flour)

Ingredients:
7 cups chopped carrots (about 2 lbs)
1/3 cup honey (can sub sugar or agave syrup; can add more sugar if prefer sweeter)
1/4 cup sour cream (for vegan: sub 1/4 cup non-dairy creamer and 1 tsp vinegar)
3 tbsp flour (all purpose, whole wheat, or non-grain flour)
2 tbsp coconut oil (can sub butter, unsweetened applesauce, or pumpkin puree)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

Note: I add 1-2 tbsp of homemade Pumpkin Pie spice. I also add 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast. Fall/pumpkin spices can also be added to enhance the souffle.

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Oil/butter a 2 quart baking dish.
  3. Cook carrots in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until very tender; drain.
  4. Place cooked carrots in food processor (be careful, carrots will be hot) and process until smooth. Can also use a potato ricer.
  5. Add remaining ingredients and process until mixed.
  6. Spoon into prepared pan. 
  7. Bake for 40 minutes. Souffle should be puffed and set. 
  8. Enjoy!

Nutrition:
Based on above ingredients, one cup of the baked Carrot Souffle has about 200 calories and 5.6g protein.

My next goal is to adapt this recipe to be vegan. Do you have any suggestions for an egg-free souffle??


This recipe was adapted by All Natural Katie based on another recipe. If you post the recipe on a blog/website, please link back to the original post or cite the original post. If you see this exactly recipe anywhere else, please email me.
  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...