Monday, March 23, 2015

The World's Strongest Coffee [Review]

Enjoying a cup of hot coffee is one of the highlights of my mornings. Not only do I drink coffee for the energy boost, but also for the flavor. I love a strong, bold cup of coffee. Black! With a curious toddler running around the house, I need coffee to keep up with him. Honestly, on some days, I need more than coffee! On those days, I pull out a bag of organic and Fair Trade Death Wish Coffee. Death Wish Coffee is the world's strongest coffee, having approximately twice the caffeine of typical store bought coffee blends.


Death Wish Coffee       
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Fair Trade and USDA Certified Organic
Slight headache/energy crash a few hours later
Comes in whole beans and ground

Smooth and bold

High caffeine content


Let's talk a little about the world's strongest coffee, Death Wish Coffee. The name had me and my husband intrigued. The company's goal was to develop an extremely strong coffee that was dark, highly caffeinated and very flavorful. Death Wish Coffee Company sources high grade beans to ensure that the blend is strong and delicious. The coffee comes in a 16 ounce bag and sells for $19.99. The price is a little higher than most high end coffees, but is justified because of the Fair Trade and USDA Organic certification, plus the higher caffeine content.

The whole beans are dark in color. They have quite a bit of oil on them, but ground up quite nicely. The oil on them is from the longer roasting process.

Usage: I brewed Death Wish Coffee using my 3 cup glass Chemex. I usually brew 2 spoonfuls of ground coffee per 1 cup of water. I like coffee strong. Death Wish Coffee recommends 2.5 spoonfuls of ground coffee per 1 cup of water. If you make the coffee and it's too strong, you can dilute by adding a little bit of hot water at a time until you reach your preferred strength. I started off with one small cup of coffee to see what kind of effect it would have on me. I can tolerate a moderate amount of caffeine. I prefer a smaller cup of stronger coffee.

Coincidentally, my husband also brewed Death Wish Coffee at work that day. I sent him with a small jar of grounds for "emergency purposes."

I have also been adding grass-fed butter to my coffee to reduce the spikes and drops in the way my body receives and processes the caffeine. I have definitely had less caffeine crashes.

Results: My first reaction was that the coffee had a really good, bold flavor. It tasted strong, but smooth. No bitterness at all. The caffeine kicked in immediately and I felt more alive after just getting up at 5:30 am with a toddler. I sipped on the coffee for a couple of hours. I was impressed with the results. The caffeine woke me up without giving me a "caffeine buzz," which is most of the time not preferred because it results in a huge caffeine crash.

In the early afternoon, a couple of hours after finishing my cup of Death Wish Coffee, I noticed that I had a headache. In general, I do not get headaches, especially from coffee. I also felt a little off. I had a small cup of coffee in the afternoon and it seemed to help. When I talked to my husband that evening, he had a similar reaction. We concluded that it could have been a caffeine crash after the high amount of caffeine in Death Wish Coffee. Aside from this potential caffeine crash, I did not experience any other side effects.

Note: Since this coffee has a higher caffeine content, please do a small sample taste before drinking a cup of coffee. If you have a low tolerance for coffee, cannot handle high amounts of caffeine, are pregnant or nursing, or have an underlying medical condition, it is recommended to avoid drinking Death Wish Coffee.

I decided that we are going to keep a bag of Death Wish Coffee in the pantry for "emergency purposes." The cost per pound of coffee is a little high for us to drink this coffee on a regular basis, but I do want to keep a bag just in case we are having one of those days where our regular coffee is just not doing it.

If you are looking for more caffeinated and stronger coffee, I recommend that you try a bag of Death Wish Coffee. You won't be disappointed (and they have a 60 day money back guarantee!).

Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...