Thursday, February 13, 2014

Janine's Place Carrier Teething Pads [Review]

We continue our series of eco-friendly baby teething products and toys. The focus here is on organic and/or natural products sold on Etsy. Babies are going to put these products in their mouth, so buying products made from natural and organic fabrics is a great investment. Those of us who wear our babies in carriers know that babies love to chew and suck on those straps! Once babies have teeth, chewing on the straps can rip the fabric and weaken the integrity of the strap. Janine's Place features Carrier Teething Pads that add style and flare to your carrier and keep your baby satisfied.

Carrier Teething Pads       ($20.00)
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Made with Organic Bamboo French Terry

Can be used as car seat/stroller strap covers






Subject: 10 month boy
Equipment: ERGObaby carrier
Background: Baby likes to chew on soft structured carrier straps

Maybe as the seasoned mom that I wanted to be, I thought that I would not need certain baby items. My goal throughout the pregnancy and after giving birth has been to avoid purchasing unnecessary baby "stuff." Less is more. There are some things that we can just do without. Then I remembered that I am a new mom. There are just some things that you cannot realize until the baby is in your arms and you are taking care of them 24x7. I wrote off carrier teething pads as an unnecessary purchase. Boy, was I wrong! I continue to wonder why I did not get teething pads for the ERGObaby soft structured carrier sooner!

I am featuring another set of carrier teething pads. There are several different styles available on Etsy, depending on what your baby prefers to chew on. My baby likes to chew on fabrics that have a little bit of texture to them (ex: ERGObaby carrier straps) and anything with a little rubber feel to it (ex: Sophie the Giraffe). Janine at Janine's Place crafts Carrier Teething Pads with a soft flannel on one side and Organic Bamboo French Terry fabric on the other side. The teething pads are intended to be worn with the flannel side against the carrier strap and the Organic Bamboo French Terry on the outside. The texture of the French Terry fabric is more soothing for a baby's sore gums.


I attached one teething pad with the French Terry on the outside and the other teething pad with the flannel on the outside. I was curious which one the baby would prefer. Of course, he preferred the French Terry because he likes to chew on fabrics with some texture. The texture helps to relieve teething pain.

I can also see the benefit of having the flannel side available for a younger baby who drools a lot. When my baby boy was younger (3-6 months), he liked to suck on the straps. Both fabric sides are absorbent. I also love that these can be easy washed. I prefer to quickly hand wash with natural soap and hang to air dry. Air drying will help to prevent shrinkage. The carrier teething pads can be fluffed in the dryer or rub them against each other to soften the fabric after air drying.

Carrier Teething Pads are a requirement if you ever wear your baby in a soft structured carrier. Janine's Place on Etsy also features upcycled wool products. Wool soakers, wool baby slippers, wool longies, among other fun things. Check out the adorable upcycled wool baby slippers on Janine's Place.

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned for free to facilitate this review. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...