Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Baby More Co. Baby Wrap [Review]

Baby wearing is near and dear to my heart. I read about the benefits (for mom parents and baby) of baby wearing when I was pregnant. After giving birth, I saw firsthand those benefits and still do. To this day, I still wear my 2 year old. Baby wearing is a great way to calm a fussy baby, get a stubborn napper to nap and keeps mom's hands free to do other stuff. Baby wearing can be done using many different carriers like a soft structured carrier, a wrap, a sling, etc. Baby More Co. baby wrap is a soft stretchy wrap that is a must hand accessory for any new mom.

 

Baby More Co. Baby Wrap     
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.


The Good
The Not So Good
Material is stretchy
Conventional cotton
Better for newborns and babies
Doesn't work as well for toddler
Affordable




Baby More Co. baby wrap is a solid piece of fabric that you wrap around yourself and your baby. The piece of fabric is a long rectangle with tapered ends for easier tying. This fabric has a little bit of stretch, so that you can get the right tightness to keep the baby safe and close. One of the intimidating parts of a baby wrap carrier is that the fabric is really long. This is common among all baby wraps. The fabric is long so that it fits most sizes of women (and men) and can be tied using different ties.

I have two other baby wraps: one by a popular brand and one by a lesser known brand. Both fabrics are pretty thick and do have some stretch to them. The Baby More Co. fabric is a little bit thinner than those, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad thing. The thinner fabric is easier to maneuver while tying around your body. And, it is also better for the summer months when the thicker fabric might get too hot.

My first experience with a wrap was when my son was a newborn. The soft structured carrier was too big for him, so I used a wrap to keep him close. I liked carrying him in the wrap when I was doing chores around the house because I could move easier. That is one of the things I also like about the Baby More baby wrap. The fabric is soft and the stretchiness of the fabric allows the wrap carrier to move with you.

Baby More Co. baby wrap is designed for newborns to 35 lbs. I would highly recommend this carrier for a newborn baby or a smaller child, maybe up to 18 months. I tried this baby wrap with 2 year old son. I found it to be uncomfortable.

THE EXPERIMENT:
wearing a 27 pound toddler, front carry, while shopping


We left one store and needed to walk a few stores down to our next stop. I attempted to put my 2 year old son in the baby wrap in the parking lot, outside my car. It did take a little while to hold him while I tied the wrap around me. Plus, the ends kept hitting the ground. Trying to tie a wrap around yourself while out is usually difficult, so it is recommended that you tie the wrap on yourself at home and leave it loose until you get to your destination. Once I finally got him in, I tried to tighten the wrap as much as I could, though this was difficult with a squirmy toddler.


Results: I walked about 500 feet to the next store and wore him while I picked up a few items. While I was walking to the store, he was bouncing up and down a lot because of the give of the stretchy fabric. This was a little bit uncomfortable for me. The fabric kept pulling on my shoulders with every bounce. Aside from this, he was secure on me and he felt comfortable being worn (meaning that he stayed quiet and put).

 

Lessons Learned: Next time, I tried tying the wrap tighter and making sure it was as tight as I could get it. I also wore him higher, which was better on my lower back. However, he was still bouncing up and down when I walked. The Baby More Co. baby wrap would be better for a newborn or smaller child. Once you get into wearing a toddler with a wrap, you either need to select one that has less stretch or no stretch at all to ensure the toddler stays mostly in place. Wearing close to 30 pounds bouncing on the front of you is quite different than 15 pounds. I will try the hip carry next time to see if I can get a better fit.

There are many different ways to tie a wrap. Do some research online and try out the different ways. The tie that is usually recommended in the instructions that come with the wraps was not my favorite because I could never remember which way the ends went. Once I found the kangaroo tie, I was hooked. It was easy to remember and quick to do.

If you are looking for a newborn baby wrap or an infant baby wrap, I recommend Baby More Co. baby wrap because of the affordable price and the quality fabric. I would not recommend a wrap for a toddler or older child, even though most are designed to go to 35 pounds. Soft structured carriers are better for toddlers and older children. I will keep this carrier and use it if we have another baby.




Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own and are honest.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...