Saturday, May 23, 2015

Coffee Bean Mill for the Perfect Cup of Coffee [Review]

Enjoying coffee is one of the highlights of my morning, and my day! When one stays at home with a toddler, coffee is a requirement for getting through the day. A few years ago, my husband and I started buying whole coffee beans and grinding our own. Even though we go through a bag of coffee fairly quickly, we found that grinding our our coffee results in much better and fresher tasting coffee. While an electric coffee grinder is a useful kitchen accessory, a manual coffee grinder has its place also. Galleany's manual ceramic coffee bean grinder mill uses the burr grinding method to grind coffee beans to uniform size, which is important in brewing the perfect cup of coffee.

Galleany Coffee Mill      
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Stainless steel body
Small volume
Adjustable grind sizes

Compact and portable (great for travel)




Galleany coffee mill is a manual coffee bean grinder that uses a ceramic burr mechanism to grind the coffee. The mill is made from stainless steel body with a small acrylic window at the bottom. The handle is made from plated zinc. The ceramic burr mechanism is inside and can be accessed by pulling off the bottom piece. The black knob inside (bottom of the ceramic burr grinder) is used to adjust the fineness of the ground. The coffee mill comes pre-assembled.


Galleany coffee mill has a 50ml capacity. The smaller size is more suited for a single cup of coffee. If you prefer your coffee to be very fresh, then you grind just enough coffee each time for one cup. This compact size makes this coffee mill portable. I can see myself taking this coffee mill when traveling. For every day use, this size is a bit small for me. I prefer to grind enough coffee for 1-3 days. With a toddler running around, I do not have time to manually grind coffee for each cup of coffee.

One of the features that I love about manual grinder mills is that the grind size can be adjusted. While espresso requires a finer ground, a drip coffee maker uses a coarser ground. An automatic coffee grinder can grind coffee beans to different sizes, but it is harder to regulate and the ground beans are usually not in uniform sizes. this can impact the taste of the coffee.

Usage: Whole coffee beans are poured in the top and then ground using manual movements of the handle. The ground beans come out in the bottom of the mill and are ready for immediate use. The handle is turned to grind the coffee. Be prepared for a little bit of time to grind the coffee beans.

Results: The ground coffee beans looked to have uniform size after grinding. With the smaller capacity (50ml), it was just enough coffee grind for about 1-2 cups of coffee. I prefer my coffee strong so I usually use 2 scoops of coffee per 1 cup of hot water. Since manual coffee grinding takes more time than using an automatic coffee grinder (and more muscle), using this grinder on the weekend when I have more time and help from my husband would work better for me.

I also tried to grind flax seeds in the grinder. After adjusting the grind size, I was able to get a fairly fine ground that I used to make a flax egg.

My Thoughts: I like the ability to adjust the grind size and count on uniform ground size to make the perfect cup of coffee. Taking the mill apart to clean and putting it back together once air dried was not too difficult. I do wish the mill had a bigger capacity, which would work better for my daily needs.

Galleany manual coffee mill is a good accessory to have on hand whether you prefer to have complete control over your coffee making process or you want to have something on hand for an emergency situation (no electricity).



Disclosure: I received the product to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own and are honest.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...